Visste du att...

Gamescom ställer in men kör digitalt

Gamescom inställt

Tyska myndigheterna har fattat ett beslut att man inte får arrangera större evenemang fram till den 31 augusti.

Covid-19
Anledningen är självklart Covid-19-viruset och man kan väl tycka att det är rätt oansvarigt att ens tänka tanken att arrangera evenemang med så många människor närvarande innan det finns ett vaccin. Eller i alla fall inom den närmaste tiden till de som vet vad de pratar om tycker att faran är över. Det är alltså inte arrangörerna som dragit i handbromsen, utan det är som sagt Tyskland som stoppat alla större event fram till sista augusti. Exakt var gränsen för ett stort event går vet vi inte, men Gamescom med över 250 000 besökare är passera den med råge.

Gamescom stretade emot länge och var det sista stora evenemanget att bita i gräset. De kommer dock att göra ett digital evenemang och vi förmodar att det handlar om Twitch-sändningen de körde dagen innan mässan började förra året. I och med att både E3 och Gamescom är inställda kommer många nya titlar att leta efter andra platser att premiärvisas och vad det blir kan man ju fundera på. Ett hett ställe, som dessutom är nästan helt digitalt – om man bortser från de i publiken – är Video Game Awards. Kan hända att det blir det enda stället med en inarbetad publik för nya spel 2020.

GDC Summer, Dreamhack Summer och Dreamhack Dallas kommer att äga rum i augusti, men inte i Tyskland. Vi får se om dessa redan framflyttade event kommer att flyttas ännu längre framåt eller kanske ställas in? Tvivlar på att så värst många är sugna på att gå på evenemang i dagsläget.

Läs mer om Tysklands beslut att inte arrangera event innan sista augusti >>

Officiellt pressmeddelande i sin helhet

gamescom 2020: the largest games event in the world will only take place digitally this year

nationwide ban on major events until the end of August +++ gamescom will be purely digital in 2020 +++ devcom developer conference also to be held only in digital form +++ established digital formats to be expanded and new ones added +++ reimbursement of tickets and exhibitor payments made to Koelnmesse

The nationwide ban on major events until 31 August announced yesterday by the German government and states has direct consequences for hosting gamescom 2020 at the Cologne fair grounds. This means that a business or entertainment area in the previous format will not be possible this year. That does not change the fact that gamescom will definitely take place digitally. In addition to established formats such as gamescom: Opening Night Live and gamescom now, we are currently working intensively on the expansion of these offerings and introducing additional modules. In light of yesterday’s decision to suspend all major events until the end of August, the devcom developer conference will also be held exclusively in digital form. The first concrete information regarding digital gamescom 2020 will be announced in mid-May. However, the organizers ensure that visitors will receive a refund for already paid tickets and exhibitors will be reimbursed in full for payments made to Koelnmesse. Further information on the handling of ticket and booking refunds will be made available in the coming weeks.

Oliver Frese, Managing Director of Koelnmesse GmbH: “As the organizer, this decision is as painful for us as for the half million gamescom fans who come to Cologne every year to celebrate games together. However, we are looking forward to the digital gamescom 2020.”

Felix Falk, Managing Director of game – the association of the German games industry: “Even though we unfortunately will not be able to come together with the games community and industry on site in Cologne this year, we’ll still celebrate the latest games with each other digitally at the end of August. That is why we are working at full speed together with our partners on the further development of gamescom: Opening Night Live and gamescom now, and will be presenting new and exciting digital formats. Our goal is clear: this year, gamescom will once again be ‘The Heart of Gaming’ for millions of fans throughout the world.”

Lämna ett svar